Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My in laws are in their late 80’s they had a coon hound mix…

Customer Question
My in laws are...

My in laws are in their late 80’s they had a coon hound mix that was always aggressive to people at the door and new people coming in house. She started attacking their other small dog, requiring vet appointments and drains being put in the wound.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the coon bleeding a lot?

No the coon is the aggressor

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the coon's name and age?

I paid for her to go to training, but they could not keep up with it She is 5.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the coon's name?

Anna I tried bringing her into my home and continued to work with her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Anna?

But she had been aggressive with my little dog

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Now I’m concerned about my dogs, and I have young grandchildren, I can’t put an add in the paper and give her to someone else knowing she has this problem... I’m trapped keeping a dog that makes me worry if she’s going to hurt my dog, or someone else...
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you have this dog, who is potentially dangerous. I am glad she is no longer with your older in-laws.

Dogs like this respond somewhat to training, but are never totally safe with strangers, children, or other dogs. If rehoming her is not an option, I would get a basket muzzle, and keep her in it all times, unless she is confined in a room away from dogs and children.

Basket muzzles are humane, and she can drink and pant with it on, just not bite. She may still attack, but she can't hurt anyone.

I have not heard back from you.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can answer anything else about her.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian