Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My English bulldog puppys face is swollen under his eye all…

My English bulldog puppys...

My English bulldog puppys face is swollen under his eye all the way across part of his nose he was fine and even had a well check visit Friday and there is a discharge from his one nasal and eye all on the same side

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Otis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Otis?

No he is only 11 weeks old and very healthy

12/3/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Otis.

1. Do you think you could post a picture of his face? The following link walks you through the process:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

2. How much does he weigh?

Thanks, Deb

Thanks for getting back to me; the picture helps a lot....and what a little cutie he is, I must say:)))

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

The facial swelling that he has looks as if it could be secondary to an anaphylactic reaction to an insect sting or spider bite; certainly this is going to be the most common cause for a dog's face to swell on only one side and which involves only a portion of it.

If that's the case, then the treatment which is most effective the majority of the time will be otc Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose for a dog this size would be 25 mg with sedation a possible side effect. Most patients will respond to just one dose although there are some who might require more or possibly even steroids from your vet before improvement is seen.

In case you were wondering, this isn't an ER type of situation. I'd treat him with Benadryl and if the swelling hasn't significantly improved by tomorrow, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. And, best of luck with him, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian