Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My male husky mix came home last night from outside and was…

Customer Question
My male husky mix...

My male husky mix came home last night from outside and was in a lot of distress. He would not settle down and would act like his hind quarters were really bothering him, he would lick his body, mostly around his back legs and rump. And he could not sit still. He would also lick the air, like I've seen mail dogs do if there is a female near in heat. We have seen this behavior before, but no where near this intense. We gave him a couple baths which seemed to give home some relief for a while. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Mr.Peanut, he is a little over a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mr.Peanut?

1 yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr.Peanut?

He isn't fixed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Mr. Peanut was observed to be in distress last night, appearing restless, and licking his back legs and rump. This behavior can also occur with an intense itch reaction such as what is seen with a flea bite hypersensitivity. The fact that it appeared to get better after a bath supports this idea. Is Mr. Peanut on a flea prevention currently?

3 mo. Derive, he received 3 weeks ago with no adverse reaction
That's Beriva

I am not familiar with Beriva. Is it Bravecto?

Sorry, yes, edible flea repelant
We don't see any fleas in the home
His skin looks white and normal, no redness

Bravecto is a good quality flea prevention and is presumably working to prevent fleas from living their life cycle. It is important to just mention that a flea prevention does not prevent a flea from biting, so a flea (or other insect) bite can still create an intense scratch-itch reaction. With no redness on the skin then it is not likely an allergic reaction. You can give Benadryl as a safe medication to treat any itch.

Other causes of appearing in distress and licking the back legs and rump would be pain. Muscle or skeletal pain can cause this behavior. Treatment would be to give rest and an anti-inflammatory medication as needed.

Finally, your thought of an intact female is also possible, but the intense licking is not usually observed unless it it to the area of the penis. I would pursue this as an allergic skin reaction and consider giving a low dose aspirin for pain. If the problem persists then remove him from the area (i.e. go on a long walk, drive, etc.) and see if his behavior calms down.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Could infected or blocked anal glands cause his reaction? He has been acting like there might be a bitch in heat somewhere. He has been trying to mount our 12yr. Old spayed female lab, constantly. But I have never seen him get an erection.
I've had a dog with very bad skin allergies before and he would chew on hot spots, and Mr Peanut isn't chewing on his skin, more like licking at his hind quarters and anus.

An impacted anal sac can cause discomfort in that location. So can urinary tract pain. These are two areas that can be examined by a veterinarian. Scooting is often observed with anal sac pain. Mounting other dogs can also be a sign of dominance or redirected anxiety, so it does not have to mean there is a female in heat nearby. My recommendation is to have him examined for anal sacs and urinary tract pain. If no problems are observed then consider treatment for anxiety.

Just checking in. How is Mr. Peanut doing?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian