DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050

I have a 12 year old bulldog. Took her to vets on Friday.

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old bulldog. Took her to vets on Friday. Vomiting, swatting to urinate but doesn't all the time, Has been trying to have a bowel movement since Thursday and has not. Vet took xrays and blood. Vet says UTI. She has no bladder control, has not eaten or pooped since Thursday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Miss Kaitlyn
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bulldog?
Customer: 12 years she has never had an accident, the past 2 days she has peed a lot in her room, just not like her, Very rare she doesn't eat, I even made her bland yummy food, nothing, He did put her on Augmentin for 10 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will add it appears she has mucus coming out of her rectum, not sure if that is from all the pushing she has been doing trying to have a bowel movement
Expert:  DocPaul replied 11 months ago.

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Okay so they diagnosed the UTI but did not comment on her inability to poop and her inappetance?
Paul

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also at times is panting very heavy, at those time she seems in pain. The last thing I want is for her to be in pain.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They said nothing on inability to poop or lack of appetite. they did give her a shot to help her stop puking
Expert:  DocPaul replied 11 months ago.

We are missing something here- there is something else going on

She is older and not eating and is uncomfortable

I am worried about a problem in the abdomen that did not show up on the bloodwork

They should have done at least abdominal x-rays or an ultrasound to look for fluid, masses, inflammation

Paul

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did comment earlier they did take an xray. No blockage, bladder was empty with no stones.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 11 months ago.

Sorry- I missed the x-ray note- my apologies

Okay we are still dealing with an older inappetant dog

I think that the next step is an abdominal ultrasound- I have done veterinary ultrasound for 25 years and it is so very very helpful oin diagnosing problems.

I suggest we make her comfortable today and then get her in for the scan tomorrow

Are you okay with that?
Paul

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Given her age and current situation i'm not sure what to do.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 11 months ago.

Would you like to talk by phone? I wold be happy to review all of your options and my thoughts with you

Paul