Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12 year old bulldog. Took her to vets on Friday.

Customer Question
I have a 12...

I have a 12 year old bulldog. Took her to vets on Friday. Vomiting, swatting to urinate but doesn't all the time, Has been trying to have a bowel movement since Thursday and has not. Vet took xrays and blood. Vet says UTI. She has no bladder control, has not eaten or pooped since Thursday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the bulldog's name?

Miss Kaitlyn

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bulldog?

12 years she has never had an accident, the past 2 days she has peed a lot in her room, just not like her, Very rare she doesn't eat, I even made her bland yummy food, nothing, He did put her on Augmentin for 10 days

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I will add it appears she has mucus coming out of her rectum, not sure if that is from all the pushing she has been doing trying to have a bowel movement
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Okay so they diagnosed the UTI but did not comment on her inability to poop and her inappetance?
Paul

Also at times is panting very heavy, at those time she seems in pain. The last thing I want is for her to be in pain.
They said nothing on inability to poop or lack of appetite. they did give her a shot to help her stop puking

We are missing something here- there is something else going on

She is older and not eating and is uncomfortable

I am worried about a problem in the abdomen that did not show up on the bloodwork

They should have done at least abdominal x-rays or an ultrasound to look for fluid, masses, inflammation

Paul

I did comment earlier they did take an xray. No blockage, bladder was empty with no stones.

Sorry- I missed the x-ray note- my apologies

Okay we are still dealing with an older inappetant dog

I think that the next step is an abdominal ultrasound- I have done veterinary ultrasound for 25 years and it is so very very helpful oin diagnosing problems.

I suggest we make her comfortable today and then get her in for the scan tomorrow

Are you okay with that?
Paul

Given her age and current situation i'm not sure what to do.

Would you like to talk by phone? I wold be happy to review all of your options and my thoughts with you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian