Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He won't let us touch one side of his head. I can't tell if…

Customer Question
He won't let us...

He won't let us touch one side of his head

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

I can't tell if it's his ear or jaw

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

It's either his ear or jaw

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Frank. He's 6 and a toy poodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frank?

He just wants to sleep all the time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When caretakers are unable to examine their pets which in most cases results from the pet's fear of being hurt further either restraint in the form of a muzzle and helper or having the pet's vet's assistant restrain the pet for the vet to examine it should be considered. A painful jaw isn't likely unless there's been a history of trauma. Painful teeth, however, often due to tooth root abscess is relatively common in miniature breeds. In that case you might also see difficulty chewing and perhaps hypersalivation. His somnolence (sleepiness) is an important symptom but it isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder; it does, however, suggest a painful dog supporting the theory that his not allowing you to touch one side of head is due to pain.

Have any new symptoms arisen that might help clarify Frank's behavior? Is he holding his head stiffly and perhaps lower to the ground? Not flexing his neck when looking from side to side? These are symptoms of neck pain as would be seen with cervical (neck) intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk").

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Thank you for responding. We think there is an issue with his ear. We've tried playing with him and he is still chewing on things and biting all over his toys. However, when we went to pet his head, he yelped and tried to bite when we got close to his left ear. Any suggestions?

Ouch. His ear will need to be scoped by his vet. Regretfully, you can't see into the horizontal canal where a foreign body might be lurking (e.g., a plant awn) or where infection is brewing. If infection is seen through the hand-held otoscope, the vet may retrieve a sample of the ear canal surface and examine it microscopically looking for both bacteria and yeast. The ear will be irrigated and packed with an ointment or solution specific for the type of infection found microscopically. Treatment may suffice as performed in the exam room or you might go home with an otic preparation you'll be asked to place into Frank's ear over a period of 7-10 days. Please continue our conversation if you wish.