Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my dog to the vet cause she had something comming out…

Customer Question
I took my dog...

I took my dog to the vet cause she had something comming out her area the vet said prolapsed try and get her spayed . So I got her home and it happened.again so I called the place took her in and had.her spayed and here I am on the third day and its coming out again and they said it would be fixed and its not

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Her prolapse is coming out again

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

I dont think she is hurting but she wont eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

And her prolapsed is coming out again bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No not that I know of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. Vaginal prolapse or hypertrophy occurs due to excessive estrogen stimulus to the vagina. Spaying reduces the amount of estrogen in the tissues because the ovaries are removed but it takes some time for the tissue level of estrogen to decrease to the point at which the vaginal tissues normalize - usually 7-10 days unless the prolapse is so severe that it needs to be surgically reduced. If the tissue you're seeing is drying out or becoming traumatized due to exposure, it needs to be replaced by Bella's vet and the vulva can be sewn partially closed until there's no longer a risk of damage to the vaginal tissues. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?