Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 18 month old lab had an allegic reaction last night to…

Customer Question
My 18 month old...

My 18 month old lab had an allegic reaction last night to something...no food change or shot. Perhaps ate something on off leash walk or insect bite. She is about 69 lbs and gave 75mg benadry 6:30 pm and gave her a cold bath... was restless all night....this am the swelling of hives better. Now sleepy and intermitenly shaking. Would appreciate suggestion

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Sage

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Benadryl can be continued at a dose of 50 mg at 8-12 hour intervals - higher doses don't increase efficacy but can cause paradoxical agitation. Should this antihistamine stop helping Sage, her vet can administer a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone by injection which should be more effective. Most dogs suffering from urticaria (hives, wheals) will normalize within 36 hours unaided. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I was concerned that I might have overdosed her with 75mg last night...so sounds like I did not and can give her another 50mg. Hives are better, she is just lethargic and a bit shaky. Was worried she might have ate something toxic.

75 mg wouldn't be an egregious overdose. Yes, these reactions can arise from food, envenomation, vaccination, chemicals, and plants. A tosic ingestion is always a consdieration but without additional signs that can only be conjecture at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian