Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old dog has recently developed very dry skin on…

Customer Question
Hello, my 12 year...

Hello, my 12 year old dog has recently developed very dry skin on her sides and back. The hair also seems to be coming out with the flaking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I've tried dry skin shampoos, conditioners and oils in her food with no relief

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lexi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexi?

She has a soft tissue sarcoma 6 years ago on her leg and nothing has returned after radiation. Other than the sever dry skin she is in great health

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 4 days by:
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question. I am just coming online and saw it had not been answered.

Were you using fish oils for longer than 1 month?

Has she had her thyroid levels checked?

Can you send me a picture of her skin so i can see what it looks like?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian