Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a three year old black lab she's spayed. She has…

Customer Question
We have a three...

We have a three year old black lab she's spayed. She has been having seizures and a lot of weakness. She's having seizures now almost every day what could be causing that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the three year old's name?

Stella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

No I don't see any other symptoms she tries to be playful but when she's playful it seems to be worse

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
There are so many reasons why a pet will have seizures. I usually put it into 3 categories. 1. Intracranial. So anything in the brain that could be causing a problem. This has to be diagnosed with an MRI or CT scan and I would say typically less likely in a young dog.
2. Metabolic. So anything outside of the brain and could be a problem..... liver, kidney, neoplasia, diabetes, etc. Any type of disease in the body that causes an im balance in the system. These things are usually measurable with blood testing.
3. Idiopathic. So all tests are normal and a pet just has a primary neuropathy but no other serious disease. This is actually quite common.Typing more...
if she is having that many seizure it has become more serious now. She is at a point where she needs to be seen by a vet and have some bloodwork. X-rays are also very helpful but your vet will talk to you about tests and your budget. Her seizures are frequent enough that she will need to start some medication. I am concerned that if you don't it will continue to get worse.
Again there are so many different things that can cause seizures and it is unlikely related to anytime in her environment. It is best to have her examined, tested for some basic stuff and treated. There are so many great meds available now and these dogs can have a great quality of life.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week.
Keep me posted.
Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
Any questions?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian