Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our two dachshunds licked raw chicken juice off the floor.

Our two dachshunds licked...

Our two dachshunds licked raw chicken juice off the floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucky and Lexi 4 years old

12/3/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Dr Kara,Any advice for our dogs? They are acting normal right now.

I understand that you are concerned about Lucky & Lexi licking raw chicken juice off the floor.

You are right to be concerned because the risk with ingesting raw meat and their juices is high. If the protein is contaminated at the slaughterhouse, or not kept in perfect conditions, or the rendering equipment isn't cleaned properly and is contaminated then serious health risks may result. We know from testing that chicken in particular is often contaminated. Dogs are by no means "immune" to salmonella, and can get bacterial enteritis and secondary organ failure just like us.

Raw meat of any kind increases the risk of food borne illnesses such as salmonella and e.coli. These risks can sicken your family as well as your dog if the pups get sick and are vomiting or have diarrhea and are shedding the bacteria.

That said the odds of getting sick are higher with eating the meat itself, and the amount of bacteria they are exposed to is important. If they only ingest a little it is entirely possible that their stomach acid and immune system protective surface antibodies found in their saliva and on the lining of the gastrointestinal tract can successfully fight off the bacteria.

I would recommend adding probiotics to their food (Proviable, Fortiflora or Benebac are all great products) to help keep the good bacteria in their guts at high levels.

Things to watch for over the next 48-72 hours include vomiting, diarrhea, high fever, abdominal pain (tense abdomen, hunched appearance), refusing to eat, drinking excessive amounts of water, or blood in the urine or stool. If any of those occur then they should see a veterinarian on an emergency basis.

If they are young and otherwise healthy they may well be fine with a one time small exposure.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thankyou!!! I appreciate all you help!!!! We will keep a close eye on the dogs over the next 24-48 hours and be on the look out for any signs that you mentioned

Sounds great, my best to your pups! Happy Holidays.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian