Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my italian greyhound ingested chocolate at a party.

I think my italian...

I think my italian greyhound ingested chocolate at a party. She is 9 lbs, eight years old, and she began vomiting at 3 am. I did not witness her eating chocolate, but the vomit looks suspiciously brown. she is resting, but she is very shaky. I'm concerned that her heart rate ma be elevated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your Italian greyhound will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Italian greyhound?

Not that i can think of. She's in good health otherwise. What is the actual cost because I may just go to the emergency vet?

12/3/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

How long ago would she have consumed the chocolate? Does the vomit smell like chocolate? If you put your hand on the left side of her chest does it feel like her heart is pounding hard against your hand? You can calculate her heart rate by counting how many times the heart beats in 30 seconds. Then multiply that by "2"

I cannot smell chocolate, but I don’t smell well to begin with. Her heart is pounding hard
Can you FaceTime on a live call? Otherwise, I don’t see the difference

Okay it does sound like she go into something. It may have been chocolate or it may have been something else. Just thinking, maybe she drank out of a coffee cup at the party. Do you have any pepto bismol or Pepcid ac?

No, but I can get some right now

Okay buy both. Pepto-1 teaspoon or 1/3 tablet per 10 pounds of dog. Pepcid AC- 1/4 of a tablet per 10 pounds of dog.

She does perk up when other dogs are barking or when she hears interesting
Noises. She walk down two flights of stairs to use the restroom and she is resting right now.

Give her both of those. If she just has an upset stomach she should improve in an hour and her heart rate should go back to normal.

I can not determine her heart rate because she is shaky by nature

I​f she vomits up the pepto and Pepcid, or her heat rate does not improve in an hour, then it is more than an upset stomach and she needs to see the ER vet.

Thank you

You should be able to put your hand on the left side of her chest. Even if you can not get a heart rate you can tell if the heart is pounding hard against your hand. That is not normal. So an hour after the Pepcid and pepto see if her heart is still pounding against your hand.

P​ick up her food and water dish until she has not vomited for 3-4 hours. Then start with just a few sips of water. If she drinks too much she may vomit again.

When she is able to keep water down for 8 hours offer her a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice or plain cooked ground beef and rice. Those are easier to digest than dog food. Start with just a spoonful and make sure she can keep it down for an hour. If she does well she can gradually have more. If she vomits it up wait a couple hours and try again.

Got it.Thank you

You are very welcome. Do you have any other questions at the moment? You can always reply again later.

Not at this tone
Time

Okay if you think of something later, just reply and I will respond asap

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian