Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My labrador has been vomiting and has some diarrhea. Would…

My labrador has been...

My labrador has been vomiting and has some diarrhea. Would it help to give her immodium?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I believe she ate a small piece of aluminum foil that a tiny bit of cheese was wrapped in. That was Friday afternoon, and this morining she didn't want to eat which is a first for her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cuca

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cuca?

She has been diagnosed with leishmaniosis, but it is under control.

12/3/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Cuca has leishmaniasis, and now is having digestive issues.

Imodium is good for diarrhea, but does not help with vomiting as much. For vomiting I would give Prilosec or Pepcid AC. How much does she weigh?

She weighs about 32 kgs. I am writing from Spain and I am not familiar with either of the products you mention. Would you be able to indicate the specific ingredientes?

Pepcid is famtodine. Prilosec is omeprazole. They are both over the counter (at least here in the US) like Immodium.

She could take one Immodium tablet for diarrhea.

Famotidine, sorry I misspelled that.

What is the dosage of famotidine? I am assuming omeprazole would be one capsule.

The dose of famotidine for her size would be 20 mg, twice daily. Omeprazole would be 30 mg twice daily; it comes in multiple strengths here.

Is it similar to metoclopramide?

No, but metoclopramide can be used for vomiting. Famotidine and omeprazole decrease stomach acid. Metroclopramide increases stomach motility toward the intestines. I usually do not use metoclopramide when there is diarrhea.

Ok. She doesn't have much diarrhea. I shall see what I can get. I am not sure if famotidine is available here. Thank you very much for your help.

You are welcome. I hope she is feeling better soon. Please let me know how she is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
My dog died apparently from a large, inoperable tumor in her liver.

I am so sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting me know. My sincere condolences.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian