Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is drooling from one side of her mouth. Thin, water

Customer Question
She is drooling from...

She is drooling from one side of her mouth. Thin, water saliva in a near constant drip. Otherwise does not seem to be in discomfort.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?

Kenya

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kenya?

She is predominantly indoors, but I kept her outside for a couple hours tonight while I had friends over

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kenya is salivating excessively. I am sorry to hear about that. This can be a sign of nausea or mouth pain. Are you able to take see if there is an infected tooth or something in the mouth?

I tried to look a bit with a flashlight. Didn't see anything obvious, but her gums might be a little red.
She is well overdue for a teeth cleaning, but I was just worried because the drooling started after her being outside for a couple hours.

Drooling can also be caused by nausea, which can occur after a mild allergic reaction, pain, or eating something not part of the regular diet. If it is not from mouth pain then treatment with Benadryl for 3-5 days should be effective. The dose for Benadryl is 2 mg per pound of body weight if treating for an allergy. It is a very safe medication and can be given as needed. You may also want to consider feeding a low fat diet such as boiled chicken, white rice, or sweet potatoes in case this is a situation of nausea. You can feed that for 3-5 days as well. If the drooling continues after 72 hours then it would be best to have her evaluated by a veterinarian. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!