Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 week old Rott had parvo (not sure it’s gone - he was in…

Customer Question
My 9 week old Rott...
My 9 week old Rott had parvo (not sure it’s gone - he was in the hospital last week for 3 days); he got better for a few days and then bad again. Vet took a stool sample and there are parasites and we were given Albon. He’s had one dose but he’s so lethargic, won’t eat and the diarrhea is watery. His last bout was a chunk of mucous. Do I need to take him back in or are the meds all I can do for him right now?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My appology for the delay. I just came on and see you have been waiting for help. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

Did the Vet say Your Puppy has Coccdia?

Is He eating or taking any fluids at all?

What color are his Gums?

Have you tried force feeding fluids and food?

Joan

My vet didn’t say what he had just parasites and he has parvo. He won’t eat but he will drink some water. I am just not sure if I should take him to the hospital but it’s getting expensive. Was my vet suppose to give me a dewormer?

The Albon is an Antibioic commonly used for a parasite called Coccdia. It is a tiny single-celled parasites that live in the wall of your Puppy's Intestinal tract. The problem is Parvo has already made the intestinal tract raw, thius you are seeing Mucus in the stool.

The Albon that was givien is dehydrating, so it is most important to Push fluids. I suggest using Pedialyte in the water,, and even making a little chicken broth and adding pedialyte to iit. It is imperative we try and get some food and fluids going back into the Puppy. We can try to do a bland diet of one part bonelss chicken breast boiled to 3 parts white rice and a tablespoon of canned Pumpkin and mix all together in a blender and feed in small increaments. You can even add some Pedilayte to the food so you can syringe feed. Another option is chicken baby food and again force feed. I would also like you to give a teasppon full of some Karo or Pancake syrup to help balance the glucose levels. If his glucose drops from not eating, we can go into Hypoglycemia.

It is imperative, to get fod and fluids in or you will be back in the ER getting him on Fluids and treatment.

To let you know about coccdia, it is transferred by OOysts and can reinfect him if not cleaned well.

I suggest a hand steamer to clean all areas he is in and also where he pottys. Bleach and water cleaning is also extremely important. http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_coccidiosis

Please hit reply so we can discuss this information.

Joan

How is the Puppy doing today? I wanted to check in.

Joan

Hi Rhonda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kina. How is everything going?
Customer

It has been a while and I wants to check on your Puppy who had the Parvo. How is the Puppy doing?

Joan