Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog seems to have something stuck in his throat. I’ve…

Customer Question
My dog seems to have...
My dog seems to have something stuck in his throat. I’ve tried ice, bread, and cheese and none of these have worked. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He is having trouble breathing. And seems uncomfortable.
Nothing like this has ever happened before. He’s breathing more quickly than usual.
I don’t know how to help him.
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Barbara. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Shorty, please?

When caretakers believe that something is stuck in the throat of their pet, that's not usually the case. Gagging and coughing usually arises due to oropharyngeal irritation or infection.

He seems fine this morning. No more coughing and his breathing is normal. Whatever caused it seems to have corrected itself. Thank you.

Thank goodness. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Barbara Gehring,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shorty. How is everything going?