Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 60 pound dog just ate about 6 ounces of cocoa truffles…

Customer Question
My 60 pound dog...

My 60 pound dog just ate about 6 ounces of cocoa truffles cappuccino. What should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Luke 1o years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Luke?

10 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luke?

He is a pretty resilient guy who has eaten weird stuff before and been ok

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, given he is a larger dog I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Luke very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him, the chances are he will be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than he ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 60 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 42 ozs { More than two pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur, so clearly your dog is not at much risk today from just 6 ounces of these truffles. While it is true that other forms of chocolate can be more toxic than milk chocolate this is still not likely to be a factor in Luke's case today, also my understanding is that this product is not pure chocolate, there are other non-toxic ingredients.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Luke's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.