Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
99041463

Have an Italian greyhound who is in pain. Crying off and on.

Have an Italian greyhound who is in pain. Crying off and on. Seems to be internal. Have not seen him eat or drink and his tummy feels very hard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Italian greyhound's name and age?
Customer: Jax and he is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jax?
Customer: No. Never been sick before. Does sometimes eat or chew stuff he shouldn't but has never been a problem before. Nose is cold and wet and he does not seem hot.

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I cannot make a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you some advice regarding your dog. Have you noticed any vomiting or diarrhea? For the pain, you can give a baby aspirin (81 mg) every 12 hours as needed for pain. If you are noticing some vomiting or diarrhea, you can give some Pepto Bisomol (1/2 tsp every 12 hours). I would also feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice to help with appetite as a bland diet. Let me know if you have any other questions!

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no vomiting or diarrhea. does not seem really interested in food or water. pain isn't constant just every once in a while. i have not seen him go to bathroom of any kind at all. i was concerned he may be constapated . his little tummy feels very hard to me

I see, I would see if he is interested in boiled chicken and white rice. It's a good diet for a dog that's constipated. You can add in 2 tsp of canned pumpkin for the constipation. You can also give him 1/4 tsp of Miralax as well to see if that helps. Sometimes if they are having back pain they will tense up their stomachs as well, so I would give some baby aspirin to help if that is the case. If he still does not want food and is very tense despite my advice, I would take him to the vet for an xray and possibly an enema if they feel it is necessary.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you very much! i really appreciate it.

You're welcome, I hope that helps your dog.