Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Think my 12 yr old 37 lb fur baby has caught kennel cough…

Customer Question
Think my 12 yr...

Think my 12 yr old 37 lb fur baby has caught kennel cough (another dog in our office had contracted the virus, or a version of it, and is now quarantined... however, I fear my boy caught the lingering virus via airborne) . Anyhow, he hasn’t showed any symptoms aside from the hacking cough, so I’m looking at homeopathic treatments to try First, before heading to the vet — I live in a tiny mtn town and the cost of vet care is outrageous. Can’t really afford another trip to the vet right now, so am after much research, I’ve settled on ordering some “nature’s bounty: Umcka cold care”. My question is: is the Umcka cold carethe only version of the nature’s bounty Umcka that is safe for dogs (13% alcohol) or should I go with Nature’s bounty cold + flu (<.5% alcohol). It seems like the latter makes more sense to give to my dog, but all reviews/research/blogs are recommending the cold care over the cold+flu. Thought?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Peanut :)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Nope. Extremely healthy, rarely gets sick and is in extraordinary shape/health for being 12!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi!

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Sure does sound like kennel cough

Here is what you can do:

Put him in bathroom with shower on hot for ten minutes

Repeat three times a day

Give him Robitussin DM- one teaspoon- Three times a day

You see a good response within 24- 36 hours time

Update me tomorrow AM

Make sense?
Paul