Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I've always taken my dog to a holistic vet. We have moved…

Customer Question
I've always taken my...

I've always taken my dog to a holistic vet. We have moved and there are none in my area. My dog has a tooth that needs to come out and the vet wants me to give her antibiotics before and after the extraction and dental cleaning. I am extremely stressed about her going under as before the vet just gave her a shot that relaxed her and cleaned and did whatever needed to be done. She then gave her another shot and she was awake in seconds. I don't want my dog to have an infection but I am so against all of this. The tooth is loose and probably abcessed. That is another story; not my fault. What should I do or give her so she comes out of this okay?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 1/2. She also has treachea collapse. I know I spelled that wrong.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

No. She is healthy. People think she is a puppy. She has been well taken care of and loved so very much. She is a 9 1/2 pound poodle, Chihuahua mix.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help you!

I too do not like anesthetics BUT the tooth needs to be dealt with

It was always tough when my beloved English Setter had to have an anesthetic but I pushed on because I knew it was best for her.

So push on! :)

I would talk to the veterinarian who is going to do the procedure and ask what drugs they will be using

I can review those with you then

Ideally she will get a strong pre-med with a narcotic in it and then something like Propofol to induce her (they use this in people a lot) followed by gas anesthesia- Isoflurane or Sevoflurane.

Okay?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian