Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Over the last couple weeks my dog has become lame, vet says…

Customer Question
Over the last couple...

Over the last couple weeks my dog has become lame, vet says arthritis, prescribed meloxicam. Dog does not want to eat, 1 week. Today had blackish loose stool substance for behind and from mouth, Labored breathing and eyes constantly moving up and down. Body is cold.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No there is not a wound. He also tested negative for lyme disease. He is 13 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Buck

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buck?

Just that he was very active a few weeks ago and is kept in a dog pen that is 20x30. We now have him inside and have to carry him outside to use the rest room. He weighs 87.4 lbs.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

We have a number of problems here:

The black stools tell me that we have bleeding into the stomach or intestines- this is serious

The eyes flickering up and down as opposed to side to side is also serious

The laboured breathing also concerns me

Is there a chance of poisoning? The Vitamin K antagonist rodenticides could do this

The Meloxicam could be causing the bleeding in the stomach

Buck need to be examined now

Are you able to take him in?
Paul

He has not been around any poisons. I can not take him in until Monday. We live out in the country with no vets around. I am also disabled.

Okay

Give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg by mouth three times a day

STOP the Meloxicam now

Update me this afternoon

Okay?
Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian