Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 year old terrier developed some loose stools yesterday,

Customer Question
Hi, my 4 year...

Hi, my 4 year old ***** ***** terrier developed some loose stools yesterday, they seemed to resolve. Late last night she has been having frequent bloody diarrhea, Frank blood, and increasing urination. I have been up with her about every 45 minutes since midnight. I gave her 2 mg Imodium and 10 mg famotidine..took the water away from her..she is wagging her tail..does not go off leash..just now had a few small episodes of pink tinged vomitus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Jen

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jen?

She's spayed up to date on vaccines, no other health issues..lives with 3 other pets..2 ***** ***** and 1 Aussie doodle all are fine.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hi. Can you advise as to how long it will take to get a response to my question?
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm working on your question now- it'll just be a few minutes.

This type of stool sounds like a condition we call HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). Basically it's where there is bleeding of the GI tract and the diarrhea ends up looking like jelly or red water. The cause is often unknown but likely either infectious (bacteria/ viral) or stress induced.

Diagnosis is made on rectal exam and then checking a PCV (packed cell volume or red blood cell percentage). In normal dog's it's 35-50%. In dogs with HGE that number is > 60%.

Treatment is by rehydrating as they lose a lot of water and electrolytes into the colon. We usually put these dogs on IV fluids and IV antibiotics for 12-24 hours. Most will have a full recovery with aggressive treatment. Without treatment, many will resolve on their own but it can be fatal in severe cases if not treated.

I would get this dog seen tonight or with your vet in the morning and get the diagnosis confirmed then treatment started. If he's not vomiting, then oral antibiotics and some SubQ fluids may be all that is needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you..I am planning to take to my vet this morning.

You're welcome. Happy to help.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian