Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe she is starting contractions. How before the first…

Customer Question
I believe she is...

I believe she is starting contractions. How long before the first pup is born?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is Spazee & she will be four on Christmas. This is her first litter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spazee?

No she is a healthy dog. Is there anything I should look out for?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Heather Stout, Licensed Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Heather Stout
Heather Stout, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Good morning, I’m a licensed professional. Is this the dogs first litter? If So the best thing to do Would be put her in the bathroom or a quiet room. Add a lot of blankets and make her a comfortable bed. Only check on her every hour or so. Some female dogs will stop Labor if there’s too much going on around them. It can take up to few hours for the first puppy and a few hours in between each other puppy. Make sure that there’s a lot of water and there with her so she does not get dehydrated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heather Stout