Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate tizandadine - she is a puppy - was born August…

Customer Question
My dog ate tizandadine -...
My dog ate tizandadine - she is a puppy - was born August 10th 2017. Soft coated wheaten terrier. She is around 12 pound. I gave her 3% hydrogen peroxide. She threw up immediately - big pile x2. Didn’t see the pills but had grass and stuff in it. She is alert but seems druggy.She also immediately ate a bowl of her dog food - she doesn’t want any water. She is on the bed with me. Watching her closely. Do U feel she is safe
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I paid the fee of 36.00. Can u please advise me - I do not want a free trial of anything - only want help with this isolated situation. Not near a vet and need help now please
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. How long ago did this happen?
  2. How soon after eating the medication did she vomit?
  3. How many milligrams was the pill?
  4. Is she taking any other medications?
Within the last hour
Within 15 minutes when I saw her - I have a fan blowing on her
U can help me this way. - I paid the 36.00 please tell me what else to do. As she is drowsy trying to keep her awake
I am putting my finger in her throat hoping to make her puke up the food she ate. Please RESPOND

Tizanidine is a muscle relaxant. This is not a drug that we use routinely in dogs, and as such there aren't any recommended dose ranges.

There are some toxicity studies done as part of the work done to get the drug licensed for people. It appears that at a dose range from 1mg to 4mg per kilogram of body weight per day they saw signs of incoordination and sedation.

At 12 pounds she is 5.45kgs (12lbs/2.2lbs per kg = 5.45 kgs). If she ingested 2mgs then she took 0.37mgs per kilogram (2mg/5.45kgs = 0.37mgs per kg). That is much less than the reported dose of 1mg to 4mg per kilogram that caused observable side effects.

She is big enough that you may not see any effects worse than sedation

If she got most of the pill out she definitely should be fine.

Your other option is to observe her closely for more serious side effects and take her in for treatment if they occur.

The most common signs of toxicity are vocalization, drooling, vomiting, incoordination, weakness, tremors, shaking, and at higher levels coma, seizures, bradycardia, hypothermia, and blood pressure abnormalities. But at her size and since you got her to vomit fairly quickly I truly doubt these more serious symptoms will occur.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

The pills are 4 mg a piece. When I place her face in front of the fan she wakes up. But very sleepy. Should I allow her to keep down her dog food she ate afterwArds
She raised up and looked at me and she wasn’t rolling her eyes as before

I was guessing 2mgs when you didn't respond to my initial questions about the pill size.

Even at 4mgs that is 0.74mgs/kg, so while close to the dose expected for incoordination/sedation I don't see this as a dangerous dose.

And hopefully she vomited at least some of it up.

I would let her sleep this off, but wake her every few hours and keep a close eye as she is a young puppy.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****