Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I noticed last name my toy poodle paw pads were peeling off.

Customer Question
I noticed last name...

I noticed last name my toy poodle paw pads were peeling off. One of them was completely off. I took him to the doctor and they told me that they will grow back. While at the doctor earlier today, they soaked them and cleaned them. They told me not to wrap so that they can dry out. Well, looking at his paws hrs later, they are framing really bad, and theres a lot of puss coming out. Is this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Mozart 3years

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mozart?

3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mozart?

He also recently just went to the doctor and received his shots. The doctor mentioned checking for pancreatitis because he had diereah and his lower abdomen was hurting. Also vomiting

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Mozart, please?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Unless Mozart's paw pads were exposed to extreme heat or cold, such peeling is consistent with autoimmune skin diseases such as the pemphigus complex or vasculitis. The presence of pus suggests secondary bacterial infection. To answer you directly, then, no it's not normal and determining the etiology of a disease of the footpads is essential for specific therapy to be provided. Biopsy of affected pads is a necessary diagnostic in these patients. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.