Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has extremely dry skin that looks like it is scabbed over…

Customer Question
He has extremely dry...

He has extremely dry skin that looks like it is scabbed over on his back. Does not itch but hair cant grow because thr scaling

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Tank he is 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tank

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?

No other than that he is great

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 6 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience.

I need to ask a few more questions to get an idea of what is going on and get you the best recommendation:

1)How long has he had this dry, scabbed area?

2)Has your vet already taken a look, and if so, was any testing done or medication prescribed? Any improvement?

3) Is he prone to skin issues?

Thanks for answering a few more questions.

He has had this off and on for about 6 months in the begining he had eruptions with puss bit took steroids for a while. but now it looks fine just this thin layer of i guess maybe dandruff or cradle cap on a baby on his back his hair doesnt grow mich there
No thank you. I'll take him to the vet

I assume if corticosteroids were prescribed that he also had one or two rounds of an antibiotic (at least 3 weeks minimum each time). With no response, this becomes suspicious to be something else. Some possibilities are: 1)resistant bacterial infection such as methicillin-resistant staphylococcus, 2)yeast infection, 3) focal mite infection (highly unlikely), 4) atypical infection, or 5)cutaneous neoplasia.

The next steps in this process would be for your veterinarian to do a skin biopsy. This is very easily done with a sedative and a local block. Several samples are taken the same as your dermatologist would do. The samples must be sent not only for histopathology (biopsy) but also for culture to know if this is a resistant infection. With this test you should get your answer as to exactly what is going on.

I wish I had some easy at-home solution for you but without response to prescribed medication, further testing is warranted at this time.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey