Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog chewed up a lighter last night and we woke up with…

Customer Question
My dog chewed up...

My dog chewed up a lighter last night and we woke up with her face swollen on one side. I have given her a Benadryl and am waiting for it to take effect. Will she be ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 1 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?

No just the swelling on her face and neck. She hasn’t thrown up and is eating fine She seems to be itching from it but that’s it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

How much of the lighter did she eat or how much lighter fluid did she come into contact with ( was it full? half empty ect?)

How much does she weigh and how much Benadryl have you given and when?

Lighter fluid can cause contact allergy and inflammation did you rinse her face off well after this occurred?

Butane is also simple asphyxiant so we can see breathing issues on top of what she is experiencing

Hello?