Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We recently changed brands on dog chew sticks and now our…

Customer Question
We recently changed brands...

We recently changed brands on dog chew sticks and now our dog is throwing up. any suggestions

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Only the fact that we changed brands on chew sticks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Maggie is a westie that is just short of 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

Maggie likes to dig up acorns that the squirrels bury in the yard.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am waiting.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Maggie has been vomiting after a change in chew stick brands.

I understand that she also likes to eat acorns. Acorns, and all parts of oak trees, have a substance called ‘tannic acid’ in them. If animals eat acorns or oak leaves in large numbers, the result can be severe gastrointestinal upset signs including diarrhea and vomiting. If very large quantities are eaten then we can see bloody diarrhea, lethargy and even kidney damage. There is no antidote for this toxin, we can only give them supportive care.

So while the change in chew sticks may be the issue the acorns may be contributing too. I don't think she's eaten enough to be seriously concerned, but you should do your best to stop her from eating more.

But perhaps the treat switch and eating acorns was coincidental. Metabolic diseases that cause stomach upset like kidney or liver disease, hyperlipidemia, or pancreatitis can cause vomiting too.

I do recommend that she see her veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure there are no health problems behind this behavior if it continues.

For now in case this is related to nausea or reflux due to a quick diet change to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. You can use these for several days if need be or even long term as they are very safe medications.

You do want to mention this behavior to her veterinarian at her next veterinary visit even if she improves with the acid reducers as they will likely want to run some blood tests to look for any possible developing problems.

It may also help to feed her a bland diet to get her through this episode. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled, white rice or pasta. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then if the behavior resolves start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back.

If her symptoms return with a return to her regular diet then you might wish to try a sensitive stomach food. Both Hills and Royal Canin make sensitive stomach formulas that you can buy at the pet store. If she still has symptoms then discuss using a low irritant diet like Hills i/d or Purina ProPlan Veterinary Diets EN with her veterinarian. And I would also recommend diagnostic testing if she gets to that point.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian