Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He was fixed yesterday, we were given 8 pills of 75 mg

Customer Question
He was fixed yesterday...

He was fixed yesterday, we were given 8 pills of 75 mg rimadyl. They put the pills in a small paper envelope and he somehow got into them. I can't find the pills anywhere. And we also have a Mastiff so I'm not sure which one of the two ate it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Don't 1 yr 90lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Doby

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago would this have happened?

How much does your Mastiff weigh?

It could have happened anywhere between last night and this morning at 8 a.m. when I woke up. The Mastiff is 90 pounds as well as the Doberman.

Thanks for the information. The bigger concern would be gastrointestinal problems, which can include an ulceration, bleeding or just severe inflammation. Liver and kidney problems can be a concern, especially if there are already pre-existing conditions here. Ideally, they would have eaten 4 pills each, and will most likely be fine. In a situation like this, I would probably give medical grade activated charcoal (your vet would have this) to help bind anything that may still be in the gastrointestinal tract, start Pepcid or Prilosec at 20 mg daily for 7-10 days and get baseline liver and kidney enzymes checked today and rechecked in 3-4 days. I would be more concerned about liver or kidney problems if one dog ate all the pills. Still wouldn't be my primary concern, but it would be enough to check out just in case. I would give your vet a call this morning to let them know what happened and see if they want you to bring them in. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Doby is doing and to see if you have any other questions.