Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have two wiener dogs and they both have been sneezing…

Customer Question
Second opinion] we have...

Second opinion] we have two wiener dogs and they both have been sneezing with mucus. and one of them acts like he cant breath and snorts quite often.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** 7. the other ones name is ***** ***** is 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simon.he?

Well, it scares me when simon has those breathing promblems, which is quite often. its been going on for about 6or 7 months, I thought

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I reviewed your conversation with Rebecca. Reverse sneezing is likely to be what Simon is doing and it's important to recognize that the cause of such behavior is nasopharyngeal inflammation. Because both your dogs are sneezing with mucus, that inflammation is likely to have an allergic etiology - atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and, less commonly, food intolerance are important considerations. An infectious etiology isn't likely when symptoms have persisted for so many months but an immune-mediated plasmacytic/lymphocytic rhinitis is being diagnosed more and more lately and doxis appear to be over-represented. If you didn't see a good response to an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) as Rebecca mentioned, a prescription glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone should be considered. A steroid will not only act as an antihistamine but also reduce inflammation in the naspopharynx whether it's caused by allergy or that rhinitis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian