Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had on and off diarrhea for a few days I put her…

Customer Question
My dog has had...

My dog has had on and off diarrhea for a few days I put her on a diet of chicken and white rice it hasn't stopped I gave her a half of one Imodium. She's drinking water more than she normally does is that because of the Imodium. This morning she did not want to eat her chicken and rice I hand-fed her a piece of chicken she threw it up with a lot of white clear liquid like water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No she's not a dog to eat whatever falls on the floor she only eats her food which for the last month has been chicken and white rice she's a sixteen-year-old Basenji

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sadie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?

This morning when she goes out she keeps trying to poop but very little if anything comes out I'm thinking that maybe because of the Imodium

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sadie. How much does she weigh? If she is around 22 pounds, than 1/2 of an Imodium is a correct dose, and should not cause her to drink more water.

Her straining with nothing coming out is probably due to "colitis", inflammation of the lining of the colon. If the colon lining is swollen, it feels like there is something in there, so she tries to poop but there is nothing to come out.

If she is vomiting, not eating, and losing body fluid due to diarrhea she is probably becoming dehydrated. That may be why she is drinking more.

Since she is 16, I am worried about her. Imodium is good for mild diarrhea due to things like eating something she shouldn't, or mild intestinal viruses, but since she is older I would be concerned about more serious conditions such as pancreatitis, liver or kidney disease, etc.

If you lift her lip to look at her gums, are they pink in color, or pale?

If her gums seem pale, if she continues to vomit, if she won't eat, she should probably see a veterinarian today.

Please let me know when you see my answer, and let me know what other questions I can answer.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian