Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Ate toxic levels of dark chocolate. Dog 10lbs it been 10

Ate toxic levels of dark...
Ate toxic levels of dark chocolate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog 10lbs it been 10 hours emesis x6 first five with in three hours, voided once.
JA: OK. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes. about 4 or 5 bars of 86% cocoa dark chocolate. Each one contain .375 oz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No history.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I just came online and saw your question; how is your dog doing? I am sorry you have been waiting for a Just Answer expert. Please let me know how he is doing and if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when i found out that he ate that much chocolate.(6:30pm) I found a huge ball of chocolate throw up on his cover. I induced vomiting with 5mls of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide twice. So vomited. About 5 Times. Around 3 am vomited again. He has no temp. (101.3 @ 11pm) tachy at 160 but just about 3:30 back down to 90. My biggest concern is dehydration.

Good for you for getting him to vomit. This is a serious amount of chocolate for a dog his size.

Great you are monitoring his heart rate. If it is down to 90 then the seizures, tremors, and high heart rate that are the most serious problems with chocolate are not likely at this point.

What color are his gums, pink or pale?

Dehydration is a concern. Try offering ice chips, chicken broth, or Pedialyte. You can have fluids given IV or under the skin (SQ) at a veterinarian.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s hard to tell he is very pigmented.

I see. You can try pinching a little skin over his shoulder and releasing. The skin should go back into position in less than one second; if it takes longer then he is dehydrated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Before all of this I did give him dinner and he ate it all. So far I have mixed 1/2 tbs of his can food with 30mls of water. He kept the last one down. 2 seconds for sink turger

If he is eating and keeping food down then he should be able to keep liquids down. 2 seconds is not too bad; try to get him to take liquids. If he took some food for you, the worst may be over.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is keeping me on my toes! Earlier he was playing the cat like nothing was wrong. But when he is relax there is muscle weakness.

If you are worried, seeing your veterinarian for fluid therapy might be best. But if he has a normal temp, and took some food, and his heart rate is down to 90, the worst may be over.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are hitting the 12 hour mark. How long does this take to get out of his system. If he continues to keep fluids down I’ll monitor him. Is frequent urination something to be concerned? Or as long as he is keeping fluids down?

It is hard to say, since we don't know the exact dose he got since you got him to vomit part of it back up. I would be hopeful after 12 hours, with a normal heart rate and temperature. The frequent urination would be a concern if he does not drink enough to compensate. Keep offering broth, ice chips, watered down milk, anything to keep him hydrated so long as he is not vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Will do. Thank you so much! I appreciate that time!!

You are welcome! Please let me know how he is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Absolutely !

Hope he continues to look better.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is doing amazing thank you for your advice!

Thanks for the great rating; so glad he is doing well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is doing amazing! Like nothing happened. Sorry for the late response i have been finishing up the semester.

That is great news. Thank you for the update!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian