Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My sister just called me and said that my 5 month old mutt…

Customer Question
My sister just called...

My sister just called me and said that my 5 month old mutt (dog) at about half a bottle of Prilosec while chewing up the bottle... Any concerns??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the mutt?

She had her Rabies, kennel cough and whatever her last shots are to be on the 30th.. She chews everything, not strange..

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please? Omeprazole appears to be well-tolerated even when ingested in excess. The LD50 - the dose that kills 50% of test subjects - in rats after oral administration is reportedly greater than 4,000 mg/kg of body weight. Humans have tolerated oral dosages of 360 mg per day without significant toxicity. Massive overdoses are treated symptomatically and supportively. There is no specific antidote.