Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My sister just called me and said that my 5 month old mutt

Customer Question

My sister just called me and said that my 5 month old mutt (dog) at about half a bottle of Prilosec while chewing up the bottle... Any concerns??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the mutt?
Customer: She had her Rabies, kennel cough and whatever her last shots are to be on the 30th.. She chews everything, not strange..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please? Omeprazole appears to be well-tolerated even when ingested in excess. The LD50 - the dose that kills 50% of test subjects - in rats after oral administration is reportedly greater than 4,000 mg/kg of body weight. Humans have tolerated oral dosages of 360 mg per day without significant toxicity. Massive overdoses are treated symptomatically and supportively. There is no specific antidote.