Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His skin is red and itchy, and he just woke up whimpering. A…

Customer Question
His skin is red...

His skin is red and itchy, and he just woke up whimpering

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A Maltese mix, 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Maltese's name?

Truffle He's on flea prevention

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Maltese?

That's all I can think of. Otherwise he's eating treats just fine Okay perfect thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Heather Stout, Licensed Veterinary Technician replied 4 months ago
Heather Stout
Heather Stout, Licensed Veterinary Technician

Good afternoon, I am a licensed professional. first off there are many thing that can cause red and itchy skin. so I will go over some of the main reasons of this skin issues. the first main reason is going to be a flea allergy. most of the time the redness and itchiness will be on the hind end of the dog. so if you notice his itchiness at the base of his tail or down his back leg. I would recommended starting him on a flea treatment. it only takes one flea for a dog to react. so just because you haven't seen any flea. that does not mean they are not there. second main reason for skin problems will be food allergies.this one is a little harder to treat, and can take a few months before you see signs of improvement. the best way to diagnose.would be by putting him on a hypoallergenic dog food. the best one I have found is royal canin hydrolyzed protein. so if the flea treatment does not work this would be the next step I would take. now with a food trail it is important to only give him the hydrolyzed protein. that includes hydrolyzed protein treats as well. in the mean time I would start him on diphenhydramine (benadryl) at 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. as well as give him a good oatmeal bath. I hope this helps you out with this problem. please feel free to write me with more questions, and please don't forget to rate me at the top right hand side of your screen. I hope you are having a great day and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Heather Stout
Heather Stout