Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a male presa canario that had 2 episodes of seizures…

Customer Question
We have a male...

We have a male presa canario that had 2 episodes of seizures several months ago, and is now on medication. We had not had a seizure since then. It is evening now in Hawaii and I just went to feed him and he must of had a seizure again as he is in a sleep mode (just like the first time he had a seizure) My husband was taking care of this the last the two times and he is in the mainland. Our dog is sleeping what should I do as he will awake at some point and maybe have more seizures?? It is 7pm and no vets are available till morning. Is it okay to wait till morning. . .?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

KAHU

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about KAHU?

He takes 1-1/2 tablet twice a day of phenobarbital 97.2 MG and every other day he takes 1 pill of prednisone 20mg

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I don't get too worried about the seizures until a dog has more than 2 in a 12 hour window. When there is one isolated seizures, just keep the lights down and the sound low around him. The less stimulation the better. Once he starts coming out of it, then you can reassure him.

If he were to have 3+ seizures in a short period, that is cluster seizures. Those guys should be seen and started on Valium. If he were to have one where the tremor portion lasted > 5 minutes, then again we have a more emergent situation as that is status epilepticus.

Here is a nice handout on seizures and how to manage them at home:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=376

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.