Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog started 2 weeks ago - he has a worm in his poop.

Customer Question
My dog started 2...

My dog started 2 weeks ago - he has a white worm in his poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Finnigan

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finnigan?

That's all what concerns me

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Finnegan has worms in his stools.

Is he feeling fine otherwise?

Any loose stools or vomiting/loss of appetite?

Ideally you should have his veterinarian check at least a couple fresh stool samples for parasites as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

We can treat him for the worms that you have seen in his stools, but he may have more than one type of parasite. Most dog gastrointestinal parasites are NOT visible to the naked eye. So he may have more that you are not aware of.

Did the worms look like this?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVvfQbSc2dOFUr3jBWgEd5gWS7PBQFeKaymXyfaWPV48CSvumWEA

If so these are roundworms. They are long white/tan spaghetti worms. They are transmitted by walking through stool contaminated with eggs and then licking their paws or from mom to pups. The are easily treated with a medication called pyrantel, which is available in many pet stores.

Or do they look like this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ucPe7lAb6Y4/VSnbBMpkeqI/AAAAAAAAw-8/L3zu-wWpLCg/s1600/Worms%2B1.png

Small, grains of rice type worms are tapeworms. These are picked up by eating an infected flea. They can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus. The small segments can move around when they are passed, stretching out and looking longer and thinner, and then constricting and looking smaller and more like rice grains.

If you don't get rid of all the fleas they will continue to be a problem as he will continue to reinfest himself. Tapeworms are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantel.

If the worms show up in his stools only after sitting for a few days then they may be maggots, which happen when flies lay eggs in his stool. They don't infect your dog at all. You just need to pick up stools soon after he goes so flies don't have anything to lay their eggs in.

If he isn't actively vomiting now or having severe diarrhea and if he is still perky I don't think an emergency visit is needed.

You can worm him with a wormer, the type based upon which types of worms/parasites he may have.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian