Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Middies are biting my recently clipped poodle what can I use…

Customer Question
Middies are biting my...

Middies are biting my recently clipped poodle what can I use to ease the bites

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Midges are biting my 7 yr old poodle what can I use to ease the bites on her abdomen which has recently been shaved

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Llita

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Llita?

No perfectly heakthy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

You can use over the counter Benadryl to help with the bites and itching. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I wouldn't put anything topically on these at this point. If the Benadryl is not helping, then a topical steroid spray may be helpful. We use one called Betagen in the hospital and that works pretty well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.