Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Middies are biting my recently clipped poodle what can I use

Customer Question

Middies are biting my recently clipped poodle what can I use to ease the bites
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Midges are biting my 7 yr old poodle what can I use to ease the bites on her abdomen which has recently been shaved
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Llita
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Llita?
Customer: No perfectly heakthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

You can use over the counter Benadryl to help with the bites and itching. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I wouldn't put anything topically on these at this point. If the Benadryl is not helping, then a topical steroid spray may be helpful. We use one called Betagen in the hospital and that works pretty well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.