Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab is almost 2 yrs old. She occasionally seems like her…

Customer Question
My lab is almost...

My lab is almost 2 yrs old. She occasionally seems like her hips have gone out. The vet gave me ghalliprant and joint support chews. the other day she pooped out a really long rope. It was about 2 feet long and I had to pull it out and it seemed to really hurt her when I did that. So that night she peed in the bed 3 times and she has NEVER done that before. Well every since then her hips seem to be worse and she can hardly walk. I have to help her get up and down from a laying position. I took her to the vet today and they said they didn't think it is Hip Dysplacia, they tested her for Valley fever and Tick disease. They said if that comes back negative then its probably an autoimmune disease. Do you think the rope could have caused an infection? They said there was no swelling in her hips. Do you think the rope is related?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Brighton

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brighton?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did they take x-rays of the hips?

No they didn’t

Sorry I just got online and saw your response. Since he is having problems with his hips I would recommend x-rays to rule out any major arthritis or any other bone disease. This would rule out Hip Dysplasia. As far as the rope causing an infection, it could cause digestive issues because it probably irritated the intestines. But not likely to cause an infection with the urine.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian