Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is not eating. She is drinking water but not eating…

Customer Question
My dog is not...

My dog is not eating. She is drinking water but not eating her food. She has her tail between her legs and will allow me to massage her bottom (which it rare) She doesn't appear to have pain in that area but hasn't eaten for two days now. I have pushed on her tummy and intestine area and she doesn't indicate pain. She acts like she wants me to massage her tummy area. I am afraid she ate something and she cant expel it. I don't know if I can afford an x ray.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She got a hold of about 70 tums (new bottle) but I read that tums wouldn't cause those symptoms.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would actually be worried that the tums are the culprit here. That is a large amount of calcium to ingest all at once. This can lead to dehydration of the gut and potentially constipation. I would bet she's just having a hard time passing this.

To help, you really need to increase her water intake. You can try some canned food or chicken/ rice or anything with extra moisture. I would also try a laxative like Laxatone. This is made for cats with hairballs, but you can use it in dogs as well. You can give it every 6-8 hours until she starts passing stool and eating on her own.

If she starts vomiting or seems to worsen, then I would go to a vet and get more aggressive care with fluid therapy +/- enemas as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian