Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog needs teeth removed but her kidneys are too weak for…

Customer Question
My dog needs teeth...

My dog needs teeth removed but her kidneys are too weak for her to be anesthetized. She is on a special diet for her kidneys and has lost a lot of weight. She is only a 5# ***** and is less than 4#s now. Is there anything we can give her for a treat? She doesn't like the special diet and only eats when she's about to die from hunger. What can we feed her? Peanut butter, cheese?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Karman, she's 7

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Karman.

I'm sorry that she's been diagnosed with kidney disease but I'm glad that you're at least trying to feed her the prescription food. But, having said that, many patients with kidney issues will refuse to eat the food which is best for them. In these cases, I advise owners to feed their dogs whatever they can get them to eat. It's more important that they keep up their strength and keep them eating foods they like rather than trying to cause stress by forcing them to eat a food they dislike.

I would try to avoid foods with a high protein content, if possible, but foods with carbs and minimal amounts of fat are fine.

Additional suggestions for you to consider (if not mentioned by your vet) include:

1. Fish oil such as Welactin or 3VCapsules can help some of these dogs since it has anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Fluids under the skin (which can be done at home) can significantly benefit many of these dogs, especially if they start showing disinterest in food. Even though she may still be drinking water, dogs with kidney disease often can easily become dehydrated; in addition the electrolytes in the fluids can help them feel better.
3. Phosphate binders which contain aluminum hydroxide such as Amphogel if the phosphorus levels are elevated. Once (or if) the phosphorus levels are < 6 mg/dL,then consider Calcitrol (which is a Vitamin D analog). However, if calcium levels are high, you wouldn't want to use it.

4. Secondary hypertension is often seen in dogs with kidney disease. Blood pressure measurements are relatively easy to do and appropriate drugs can be started if high.
5. Low dose aspirin can be beneficial in some cases but I would discuss first with your vet before starting.

6. Use of appetite stimulants such as Mirtazapine if the appetite starts to diminish although these types of medications don't are not effective in all patents.

7. Since many of these dogs are feeling a little nauseous (even if they aren't actively vomiting), I often advise Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of twice a day. This calculates out to be about 1/8th of a 10 mg tablet at one dose (just a very small amount).

Cerenia is another drug which you might discuss with your vet; it has anti-nausea, appetite stimulant and anti-inflammatory properties.

I hope this helps and provides options for you to consider. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian