Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1.5 year old golden doodle was diagnosed with a small…

Customer Question
Hi there. My 1.5 year...
Hi there. My 1.5 year old golden doodle was diagnosed with a small episode of pancreatitis last week which he stayed at the hospital for overnight and was sent home the next day with meds. He was throwing up and had diarrhea. He was doing great until today that his meds are done I noticed that he doesn't want to eat or drink today. He also threw up some grass a few nights ago.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Charlie was diagnosed with pancreatitis recently and is still having episodes of vomiting and not wanting to eat. I am sorry to hear about this problem you are experiencing. Pancreas inflammation can be last for a few days to a few weeks. What medications was Charlie treated with? Did the diarrhea resolve?

He was sent home with perpectalin, serenia and metranitazal. (Sorry I'm not home to get the correct spellings).
The diarrhea did thicken up. It was super watery before we took him in. I haven't had the chance to watch him poop the past couple of days though.

The most common problem with pancreatitis is nausea. Cerenia is used to block the vomiting reflex, and it also has an anti-inflammatory effect in the abdomen, which makes it very useful for this condition. That would be a good medication to continue giving in addition to the low fat food. Metronidazole is an antibiotic but has anti-inflammatory effects as well, which makes it helpful with intestinal inflammatory diseases. It is not usually needed for pancretitis unless there is an inflammatory intestine condition as well. Propectalin gives nutritional support to the intestines. If Charlie's appetite improves on a low fat food and no vomiting is observed by giving Cerenia, then that is the most common approach to outpatient care for this condition. Sometimes a pain medication is given if necessary. If vomiting continues despite treatment then that is an indication for having him hospitalized with IV treatments. Now that diarrhea is observed, his level of dehydration should be monitored.

Dehydration is best monitored by feeling the gums. They should feel wet and slippery. If they feel dry or tacky then that is a sign of dehydration. Another way to check is to perform the "skin tent test." This is done by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders. Let go when you feel resistance and count how long it takes to return to a normal position. A normal time is less than 2 seconds.

If you are not able to get access to Cerenia today then you could also use over-the-counter Pepcid. It is not as potent of a medication as Cerenia, and works slightly differently, but it can also be given to decrease nausea. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is Charlie doing?