Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 month old lab gets a lot of sleep in afternoon and nose…

Customer Question
my 4 month old lab...
my 4 month old lab gets a lot of sleep in afternoon and nose feels warm I give 1/2 aspirin and later nose feels cold am I overreacting to warm nose and giving aspirin unnessessarily
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

The temperature of the nose isn't a good representation of if they are running a fever. The best way to assess this is by a rectal temperature being taken. Normal is 100 to 102.5. I wouldn't be recommending the use of aspirin in a dog for a "fever" anyways. Aspirin can have a chance of causing stomach issues like a stomach ulcer. IF he's otherwise eating and drinking ok, playing ok and not seeming off - I wouldn't be doing this.

we feed him iams puppy food now and his stool has turned black before aspirin,his stool has tested positive for ova an parasite we were prescribed al-bon he bites at top of where tail joins body an so the worry over him thank you about aspirin shows u what listening to old wives tales is food causin change in color it is good in form
no

Dark stools would have me starting to have concern for a stomach ulcer. IF the stools got black after starting the aspirin, then that would be very worrisome. If he only got a single dose of aspirin, it would seem not that likely to be ulcerogenic. Food / treats can definitely be a big cause of the stools to be certain colors.