Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is suffering from congestive heart failure Can I give…

Customer Question
My dog is suffering from...
My dog is suffering from congestive heart failure
Can I give him pamabrom as a diuretic
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about Louis's situation with his CHF. How long ago was he diagnosed with it? Your vet started him on Furosemide and that was the only medication for it? How is he acting at this time?

It was a very recent diagnosis but he is coughing alot. The vet fees for two visits were in excess of $2000 and my wife and I have a baby on the way.

The vet fees can add up no doubt. With the amount of money that you spent on Louis, did they do an ultrasound of his heart? What medications did they start up for him?

I can't bare to see him suffer but i have limitations and am looking for an alternative. They won't reissue his meds unless I go back in and I just can't afford another 5 -700 dollar visit. Hes on enalpril 2.5 ml
pimobendan
1.25 mg
I was hoping to find some over the counter alternatives
I found pamabrom but it's 50 mg gel. Basically diurex

I will agree that you're situation is one that would frustrate me. How long ago was he last seen by your vet? If they prescribed the enalparil and the pimobendan at that last visit, they should be able to refill them.

There is no real use of pamabrom in veterinary medicine for dogs with CHF. The maintenance of that disease is done through the medications that he's already been on. I would call them up and see if they can refill them. They shouldn't need an exam to refill them if he's been seen here recently.

It's been about thirty days and when I calls they said I needed timbering him in for a cardiologist to assess his needs that alone is 400. The regular charge is an additional 300

Ok. They are recommending the best for him by saying that a cardiologist visit is ideal. They should be able to recognize a case that financially an owner isn't going to be able to go down that route and to then do the best that they can at that point. At my ER, while it is recommended to get a cardiac ultrasound / evaluation, if an owner can't pursue it, then the veterinarian manages it as best as he can with the knowledge and medications that he has. I would let them know that you want them to treat it and that you're not pursuing the work up.

I have but got no relief in the matter. I just need his meds he was doing better but when thenfurmisimide ran out his breathing and cough immediately worsened.

Different veterinary clinics have different policies set up, but this one seems a bit tight as far as a recheck to refill his medications. I don't know what else to say but another consideration is to have his records transferred to another clinic to see how they can help you out. With his CHF, he needs the lasix, the enalipril and the pimobendan to best control the disease. If he doesn't get these medications, then he will not do well.

Well I went to another vet this morning who requested the charts and they refused them and the only thing they could offer was to start from scratch and do it all over with them. This is heartbreaking. Thank for your assistance Doctor. I appreciate the effort

A veterinary clinic has to provide the records to another requesting clinic if the client that requests that they be sent. I'm pretty sure every state has laws set up that require the transferring of records if a client requests it.

Well I would think that as well. The other vet requested them you would think they would surrender them

You should call them and tell them that you are requesting this too.