Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is scratching her and underbelly a lot and breathing…

Customer Question
She is scratching her...

She is scratching her butt and underbelly a lot and breathing heavy. She is definitely in distress

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Suzy is 13. It's not fleas. Recently took her to the groomer who used oatmeal shampoo.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

D​oes she seem to be breathing heavy because she is so itchy? Normally breathing heavy would not be related to skin itching so she may have two separate issues. When did the itching and heavy breathing start? Is she coughing or having trouble breathing? What have you tried so far besides oatmeal shampoo?

I changed her food to one for sensitive skin and stomach. I also have been spraying her with 50/50 water, Apple cider vinegar.

T​hank you. I would try an over the counter antihistamine such as human Benadryl. 1 mg of Benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours as needed. For example a 50 pound dog would take 50 mg of Benadryl every 12 hours.

T​opically apply over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream 2-3 times a day. It is not toxic if she licks it off but if she licks it off then it will not help. To prevent licking it off buy an e-collar or inner tube type collar at petsmart pet store.

With the over the counter treatment there should be some improvement in 48 hours. If it is not helping she may need to see a vet as she may be having a severe allergic reaction and need prescription medication to stop the reaction. She could have a bacterial or fungal skin infection and need antibiotics or anti-fungal medication as well. Does that make sense to you?

I​f you have other questions, or I may be of further assistance, please reply. If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen. Many thank and happy holidays.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian