Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab had a sore on his tail halfway up that was almost…

Customer Question
My lab had a...

My lab had a sore on his tail halfway up that was almost healed. He suddenly is itching it seems all over and now the tail is raw and scabbed again. Not sure if he is dry because of the heat or what is going on. I have a cat who also has scabs down her back but the vet checked for fleas and there wasn't any. Treated her with a round of antiboitics and steriods but still there so not sure what is going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Patches the vet thinks about 8 since she just showed up one day we are not sure

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Patches

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Patches. Can you upload a photo(s) of his tail to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo is in focus before uploading.

Most important: Are you seeing Patches lick or chew at his tail?

You appear to be describing miliary dermatitis in your cat. The causes of this skin condition may be the same causes that are causing Patches's pruritis (itchiness) and so I'll post my synopsis of mililary dermatitis for you here...

"You appear to be describing a skin condition called miliary dermatitis - a papulocrustous (crusty bumps) eruption seen mainly secondary to allergic skin disease. In rarer cases we'll find the demodectic mange mite which can be found upon examining skin scrapings microscopically.

Whenever the area between the edge of our cat's rib cage to the tail is involved, a flea saliva allergy is most commonly found. Even if you can't find any fleas, it's best that you apply an effective over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage/Advocate or a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or one of the newer flea spot-ons available from your vet. In severe cases we can either inject or orally administer a prescription antihistaminic corticosteroid such as prednisolone which often works wonders in these cats. Antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) aren't reliably effective against allergic skin disease but you might see how a dose of 2 mg of an over the counter chlorpheniramine once or twice daily affects your cat. Please note that cats can be such effective groomers as to remove all evidence of fleas. It's important to still apply the flea spot-ons.

Less commonly but still important, your cat's skin can result from a food intolerance or atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust and dust mites, e.g.) Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that your cat's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from your vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen.

Atopy is usually initially addressed by the same prednisolone I mentioned above and used to address a flea saliva allergy. Prednisolone can be used as a test when differentiating a flea saliva allergy or atopy from a food intolerance. Both a flea saliva allergy and atopy are usually quite responsive to prednisolone. Not so a food intolerance."

Atopy is far more likely to be a problem in more than one pet in the household than is food intolerance. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hello
Sorry the girl got confused. Teddy is the dog and is itching in several places but his tail is the issue. Had this issue several months ago and the doctor treated with a genta spray 2 to 3 times a day and Duoxo once every 3 days and it went away.
suddenly came back and I had a little Genta spray left so used them again and it was almost healed until a few days ago he started itching a lot on his face, belly etc then we noticed his tail was really scabbed again. Used a hot spot product this morning and he licked it and now is raw. See picture Was wondering if you can prescribe more genta spray I can't order online without a script.Cat was Patches.....we tried to take her off a wheat food and actually just got a really clean food no corn, wheat soy , meat or poultry by products etc. She is covered all the way down her spine but is worse by the tail on top. The scabs are odd.
Several months ago she had two odd hairless spots on her face that were raw that the vet put her on a steriod and antibiotic and they went away but the scabs remained. Neither animal show any flea dander so not sure what's up.
Patches is on a new round of antibiotic and steroid but doesn't seem to be any better

Have you seen Teddy licking/gnawing at his tail?

Doc wanted to let you know this is the same dog you helped me with last year you told me he had an autoimmune issue the vets around here were not catching it ...you told me to start on fish oil and vit e and find something that may help people with autoimmune so I researched and found a great product his nails are coming in nice and strong again. The vets here told me they would never be normal and would bleed all the time. It is from a company called Pristine Nutraceuticals www.digesticure.com in case you know anyone people or dog who has an autoimmune issue :) So thanks

Thank you for the good update. I don't think that the tail represents autoimmune skin disease but in case it does, a glucocorticoid (steroid)-containing product (e.g., Genta spray) applied thrice daily should be helpful. Regretfully, we're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Mea culpa.

Thanks I have seen him licking as I said it was almost healed and within a couple days raw again

He's responsible for it not healing, then. A spray + Elizabethan collar should be considered. You can try wrapping the area but it can be difficult keeping a bandage on a tail.

Doc the whole reason I wrote today is he was on the mend and suddenly scratching his belly, his face etc and once again being bugged about his tail. He was just fine for weeks so why the sudden itching that is making him attack his tail again.
that is the ?

An offending allergen is once again in high enough concentration to cause the pruritis of an allergic dermatitis. Atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.), food intolerance, and a flea saliva allergy are important considerations. Because Teddy hasn't responded to a steroid, food intolerance becomes the most important consideration. Atopy and flea saliva allergy should be steroid-responsive. Can you think of anything he's eaten lately different than usual? ...although that isn't necessary - see below...

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Patches's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time. (Once again, I would find it unusual that two pets in the same home are food intolerant but it's not impossible.) Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian