Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has a rough spot on his torso that I have a picture of,

Customer Question
He has a rough...

He has a rough spot on his torso that I have a picture of, and I'm wondering if it is anything to be concerned about

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's about 9 years old, has some arthritis, but other than that he's in good shape.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would like to see the pic, please. You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo is in focus prior to uploading it.

How long has the spot been present, please?

I received the photo and see an excellent example of an epidermal collarette which usually indicates a pyoderma - bacterial skin infection often caused by Staphylococcus. The collarettes begin as pustules and then spread outward. The center quiets down and often hyperpigments but the rim can remain actively inflamed and infected. Collarettes can also be seen with fungal infections and autoimmune skin diseases. Treatment at this time might consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The antibiotic must be prescribed by an attending vet. You can find the shampoos over the counter where dog supplies are sold. His vet might suggest fungal culturing the periphery of this lesion as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian