Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Skin infection on left paw, he won’t stop licking it. Ollie,

Customer Question
Skin infection on left...

Skin infection on left paw, he won’t stop licking it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Ollie, 7 year old Japanese Spitz

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ollie?

Not that we are aware of...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Ollie has an infection on his left paw that he will not stop licking.

How long has this been going on?

What have you done to address this so far?

An area of skin that a dog persistently licks leading to loss of fur and thickened skin, often turning darker in color than the surrounding skin, is likely a lick granuloma. These areas of chronic inflammation and thickened skin usually are infected. They often need several months of antibiotic therapy and an elizabethan collar so that they can't be traumatized and will heal. Other therapies may be needed as well depending upon the cause.

The underlying cause that started the whole licking process must be addressed as well or he will never leave it alone.

Underlying causes can be arthritic changes as dogs use licking, and the serotonin neurotransmitter it releases, as a way to self comfort and "medicate" themselves. It can also be a stress response if he is stressed by other animals or changes with his beloved family. It can also be due to a foreign body in the tissue or a puncture wound and/or deep infection. Allergies are often a possible cause as well.

Radiographs of the joints in that leg may help determine if there are arthritic changes. If so then using omega 3 fatty acids and glucosamine/chondroitins like Dasuquin or Cosequin DS may be enough, or he may need nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like Rimadyl, Meatcam, or Deramaxx and sometimes a drug called Tramadol as well.

Long term antibiotics and a possible surgical exploration of the area to look for a foreign body may be needed. If you live in the southwest a grass awn is sometimes the cause and removal of the awn and inflammatory tissue and antibiotic therapy will help.

If allergies are possible then antihistamines, omega-3 fatty acids and possibly a topical medication are indicated. One that may help is a mix of DMSO+Capsaicin +bitter apple as a topical. The capsaicin is a pain reliever, the DMSO is an anti-inflammatory and bitter apple just tastes bad. This is a prescription product so your veterinarian will have to formulate this for you. Wear gloves when you apply the mix as DMSO is absorbed easily through human skin and will give a nasty garlic taste in your mouth. You may want to explore a food allergy or allergy testing as well since he is focusing on a paw. Dogs with food allergies often have very itchy feet.

Another option is laser removal of the lesion. This has been great for some dogs as it cauterizes nerve endings too, which will greatly decrease the stimulus to lick for many dogs.

No matter what caused this lesion antibiotic therapy is essential. They must be given for weeks to months. I tell owners for 4 weeks after any sign of the lesion being present. If you stop too early you will have recurrence.

Leave the e-collar on at least for 1 month after any lesion is present.

Sometimes mood altering drugs like Prozac are needed. We think in dogs that lick due to anxiety Prozac helps relieve the anxiety and thus helps to stop the licking habit.

I have heard acupuncture may help but I have no personal experience with that.

This is a tough condition and requires lots of patience on everyone's part. I understand that you may have been dealing with it for several weeks to months but that isn't an uncommon history because these lesions take lots of time to treat and investigate the primary cause.

Best of luck with your boy.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****