Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was curious because her poop gets moldy after a few days,

Customer Question
I was curious because...

I was curious because her poop gets moldy after a few days, and I wasn't sure if I should change her diet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is eight monthe old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?

When we are home, she has to go out every hour, but when we are not there, she can hold it. She also refuses to eat or drink when we are not home.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Mold growing on dog feces after a few days is fairly common in areas of the country that are hot and humid.

Some dogs do have health issues (pancreatic insufficiency, liver disease, primary intestinal disease) that lead to an inability to digest and absorb the nutrients in their food. But these pups will have other symptoms including very loose, large stools (often greasy in consistency), poor weight gain, small size for their breed, poor muscle development, lethargy, possible poor/no appetite or very voracious appetite. But those issues are less common.

In many cases it is a matter of eating such high quality dog foods such that some nutrients won't be digested and absorbed, leaving the stools nutrient dense and a good medium for mold growth.

If her stools are nicely formed, they don't seem huge in size compared to what she is eating, and she is in good body condition (meaning that she has good muscle, not too thin) then I would not be too concerned.

It is not unusual for dogs not to eat and drink while owners are gone. They may feel unsettled when their owner is gone and are sleeping most of the time waiting for you to come home. Dogs are highly social creatures and prefer to be with their pack all the time. Eating is a social activity and most dogs will wait until owners are home to eat.

If she isn't eating or drinking she won't have waste production, so it makes sense that she can hold her waste. Also when dogs are sleeping for long periods the kidneys tend to slow urine production. But once you come home and she eats and drinks and is active the gut motions start up and her kidneys start more normal functions she will have a backlog of wastes to get rid of, so it makes sense she needs to go out more.

In summary if she looks healthy, eats well enough to maintain good muscle mass, has grown to a normal size for her breed, and is active and bright when you are home you likely have a normal, very social pup.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian