Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is an elderly dog, about 11. Jack russel cross. and has…

Customer Question
Hi. so he is...

Hi. so he is an elderly dog, about 11. Jack russel cross. and has been having some problems he does not want to jump up onto couches, go up stairs etc. while examining him i noticed that one testicle was incredibly stiff and swollen. it appeared to reduce not too long afterward however he is desexed. and has been for over 10 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Ben

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ben?

He has a history of arthritis during cold months. since it is summer here it is definitely not cold. so its possibe that it is simply the arthritis

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Ben. Not wanting to jump onto couches and go up stairs are classic signs of back pain/arthritis in dogs. There are many arthritis medications made for dogs that you can get from a veterinarian. I might try a combination of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) with a pain drug like tramadol or gabapentin.

I am confused; if he is desexed he should not still have testicles. Are you seeing some kind of lump?

He is definitely desexed. and yes there is a lump. it comes and goes though. it is almost like a cramp

There are supplements that are helpful with arthritis: Doggone Pain (herbal product for dogs), fish oil (for Omega 3s), chondroitin and glucosamine.

This can't be a testicle then. I would need to feel it and see it to tell you what it is. A cramp would not look like a lump or a testicle.

Alright i guess i need to take him to see his vet then.

That would be best. The best medication would be by prescription, and they should be able to tell you if this lump is something to worry about or treat.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

And please let me know what you find out and how he is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian