Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I fed her leftover turkey last night and now I'm worried it…

Customer Question
I fed her leftover...

I fed her leftover turkey last night and now I'm worried it will kill her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She's sleeping but it is 5 a.m. It seems to be me that has the problem.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

We're finishing up prednazone for a utri. She didn't get into anything else. We watch her closely.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I wouldn't be worried about the turkey unless it was moldy. If there was mold, then we could see a mold toxicity. That will usually cause vomiting, difficulty walking, muscle tremors and seizures. If you see those signs, then I would get to a vet right away.

The other thing to look out for is vomiting/ diarrhea in case of pancreatitis- inflammation/ infection of the pancreas gland. Those guys will also usually require veterinary care.

Some mild lethargy is not really concerning without any other signs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian