Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 14 years old and just had a grand mal seizure that…

Customer Question
He is 14 years...

He is 14 years old and just had a grand mal seizure that lasted over 1minute.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He is a 50 pound Australian cattle og, American Eskimo and Russel Terri or mix. This is his first seizure like this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cattle's name?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

Seizures in dogs can be due to a number of things- epilepsy (usually 1-5 yr old dogs), brain tumors (usually 8+ yr old dogs) or infectious/ inflammatory conditions (usually puppies). In a 14 year old dog with no seizure history, a brain tumor is by far the most likely cause.

After one seizure I don't usually do much of anything. There are some dogs where it's a one time thing. If you notice any further seizures, then I would absolutely get him seen and try to determine a cause.

When we work up these dogs, we usually do bloodwork to rule out metabolic disease. That is usually normal. Those that want to do everything, we'll have them referred to a neurologist and get an MRI to look for a brain tumor. Some can be surgically removed. Some can be treated with radiation therapy. It depends on the size and location. Others we'll just treat with steroids and anti-seizure meds (Phenobarbital). That is a reasonable option as well without any work up.

Here is a nice hand out on seizures in dogs with more info:

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.